Friday, January 28, 2011

My Motivator -- Megan

My best friend, Megan, is the reason for this blog and the inspiration for me to stick with my resolutions, and she doesn't even know it.  She is my biggest motivator and encourager.  It all started so innocently.  She had made her own resolutions to lose weight and get in shape for her upcoming wedding.  While telling me about her plans to make her resolutions a reality I commented that I was tired of the way I looked and needed to get back in shape. She simply said, "You know if you stopped drinking so much Dr. Pepper and drank diet instead that would help a lot."  Now this alone was not a challenge, a dare, or a threat, but for the first time hearing this (and I've heard this suggestion many times before), it sounded so simple.  It was like a light bulb went off over my head like Zach Morris had so often in Saved By The Bell.


It just clicked.  It really is that easy.  Just give up the one thing I love most in the world (sad I know...but don't judge) in order to get the one thing I want most in the world.  I'll tell you more about that first big step later, but for now just know that such a simple conversation and statement has started this journey for me.  I didn't want to not do something so simple when I knew she was making so many strides and sacrifices to meet her goals.  I could do this one thing.  I went out the next day and bought zero calorie sodas and haven't looked back yet.  A few days later, Megan emailed me at work and told me one of her coworkers was telling her about a 5k coming up in April and she thought we should do it together so we could motivate each other.  Running is possibly my least favorite thing to do in the world, but thinking back to my bucket list I knew this was the opportunity I needed to push me toward accomplishing that goal, and on top of that and more importantly I didn't want to let her down.  Megan has done nothing but encourage me and be with me along the way of this struggle to become a better/healthier person.  Like I said, she is even the reason I am writing this blog.  She started her own blog about trying to lose weight before her wedding.  I attempted writing a completely different blog than this a few months back, but my willpower (code for laziness in this case) never got me past creating a title and a concept.  Megan is a go-getter and a doer.  She gets an idea in her head and you better believe it's getting done and getting done as soon as possible.  No time to waste.  It's one of the things I love most about her.  I have not told her I am writing this blog yet because she is so excited about her own blog and her own journey that I don't want to steal her thunder.  This is her time to shine.  Her moment in the spotlight.  


My journey wouldn't have even begun without her.  I'll let her know later on how she's inspired me to start this venture of healthy living and blogging after a while. But in the meantime I think you should check out her blog.  She's amazing, inspirational, and funny and it all shows on her blog.  Take a look: http://www.myjigglythighs.blogspot.com/.
I know she'd appreciate your encouragement too.

No comments:

Post a Comment